We’ve all been spending lots of time at home this year. Have you thought about the air you’re breathing everyday inside your home? Is it good air? To answer those questions let’s talk about Indoor Air Quality or IAQ for short. Your home’s IAQ is the condition of the air both in and around your home and it specifically focuses on how the air correlates to the health and comfort of you and your family. Let’s talk about why Indoor air quality is important and some ways that Miller’s can help you improve yours!
Why Indoor Air Quality matters
Indoor air quality matters because it’s essentially measuring how healthy your home’s air is, which can affect you and your families health. Staying healthy and keeping pollutants out of your home is at the top of all of our priority lists right now. IAQ also matters because there can be immediate and long-term effects to breathing in pollutants. Health concerns and general discomfort can arise or be worsened as a result of poor air quality. In general it is important to understand IAQ so that you can help reduce the risk of common health concerns.
Things that can affect IAQ
There are a number of common pollutants that can affect your homes indoor air quality, we’ll list just a few.
- Excessive moisture
- Pesticides, outdoor air pollution, or other outdoor pollutants
- Household cleaning products
- Molds or other allergens
- Damaged mechanical equipment
- Viral & bacterial contaminants
This is not a full list, there can be other things in your home or outside your home that may cause pollution to your indoor air quality.
How to improve your home’s air quality
We’ve now discussed why your air quality matters and some things that may be polluting your home’s air. Let’s discuss some ways that you can improve your home’s air!
- Air filter replacement – These should ideally be changed every 1-3 months, especially when the seasons are changing
- Duct cleaning – this can help dislodge dirt and other debris from your duct system
- Installation of carbon monoxide monitors – this can help to alert you if there are dangerous gasses in your home
- Installation of whole-home air purification system – this can be added to your home’s HVAC unit or can be an electronic system built into the ductwork
We know that keeping your family healthy is important to you. That’s why our professionals are dedicated to helping you do what’s necessary to improve your home’s indoor air quality. If you believe there’s an issue with your home’s air quality then contact us! We’re happy to come out and assess your home’s air and what solutions may be right for you. (804) 758-4314