SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS
The benefits of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are widely known. Both of these alarms protect you and your family from life-threatening situations. However, once these small devices are installed in our homes, they often become an afterthought. At Miller’s, we value you and your family’s safety. Our trained professionals are available around the clock to come to install, replace, or test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
How many smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should you have in your home?
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends smoke detectors should be installed on each level of your home, including the basement, as well as in every bedroom, directly outside of sleeping areas, and in hallways. The larger your home is, the more smoke detectors you should have. Heat and smoke rise, so make sure the detectors are positioned high on the wall or even on the ceiling.
Additionally, carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each level of your home. These detectors should be located outside of sleeping areas, in the garage, and near your gas furnace and gas clothes dryer if you own these appliances.
Our certified professionals will assist you in choosing an adequate number and proper location for all of your detectors.
How do I maintain my smoke and carbon monoxide detectors?
Always ensure that your detectors are not blocked or obstructed in any way. Smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month and replaced every 7-10 years. Carbon monoxide detectors should also be tested once a month and replaced every 5-7 years.
Upon a visit to your home, our professionals will ensure that your detectors are free from obstruction and working properly.
If your smoke or carbon monoxide detectors go off, leave your house immediately and call emergency services.
Protecting yourself from a fire or carbon monoxide poisoning is simple. Call us today (804) 758-4314 to make sure your home is well equipped to handle the dangers of fire and carbon monoxide – it could save your life!