The holiday season is upon us and that means it’s time to start thinking about decorating! Getting festive and spending time decorating your home with family is one of the magical things about the holidays. But when you’re decorating there are a lot of things you should consider about the safety of your home. That’s why in this blog we’ll be sharing some electrical safety tips to keep you safe while you decorate.
Electrical Safety Tips for Indoors
While you probably won’t have a significant amount of electric-based decorations inside your home there will definitely be some. Here are some tips for keeping your home safe.
- Don’t overload your outlets. Just because you have lots of fun decorations doesn’t mean you need to plug them in all at the same location. Be sure that you’re spreading out your plug-in decorations so that you’re not overloading the outlets.
- Unplug the decorations when you’re not using them. You can save yourself a lot on your electric bill if you UNPLUG those decorations when they don’t need to be on.
- Christmas tree safety is a must. Christmas trees are actually a huge cause of home fires during the holiday season. If you’re purchasing an artificial tree be sure that it states “fire-resistant” on the tag. If you’re buying a real tree then be sure it’s not too dry. For all trees keep them away from any heat source and keep watch of it during the day.
Electrical Safety Tips for Outdoors
- Use GFCIs for any lights that you’re using outdoors. This will help to prevent the concern of water mixing with electricity. A GFCI will automatically shut off if there’s water around keeping you and your home safe.
- Be mindful of the weather and ladder safety when hanging outdoor lights. We recommend hanging your lights up on a nice day so that you can do it safely. We also recommend doing it with someone else so that you have help if necessary.
- Check your lights before you hang them up. You should unravel your string of lights and plug them in to check for frayed wires or busted bulbs.
- Buy LEDs when you shop for your Christmas lights. This can help you save money while still being festive.
- Don’t leave them on constantly. We recommend buying a self-timer that will turn the lights on and off for you. These timers can be set so that the lights stay off during the day and then on for a couple of hours at night. This will help keep you from wasting money having your lights constantly running.
Decorating for the holidays can be a ton of fun, especially if you spend time doing it with family. Miller’s wants to encourage you to stay safe when doing so by following some of these tips. We also want to remind you that just because the holidays are coming doesn’t mean we aren’t there for you! Our team of experts is available 24/7 so that you don’t have to worry about anything during the holidays. Just call (804) 758-4314 for any home service needs!